Monday, December 1, 2008

The Sanctity of Home



Joshua and I just spent the weekend in Snellville with Nana and DeDad. We had a wonderful time!!! Nana and I are working on an 1860's dress. Don't worry, as soon as we are done, I'll post photos. :) We all went to get their tree and then Josh and DeDad got it up. It's a beautiful tree!! It'll look even better when we get it decorated!

While we were there I was able to go through my great-great grandmother's family Bible. I found so many neat things!! I'll probably be posting quite a bit about some of my findings. I was also able to go through her hopechest and old photos, too. I found some very good ones that I will try to post as soon as I can. In the meanwhile, I found an old article from a church bulletin that she had folded away in her Bible. Here it is:

The Sanctity of Home

A Christian home should be Heaven begun on earth. It will be if it is teh abode of warm and loving hearts. Serene but inspiring is the household which thinks, works, rejoices, and sorrows together; whose personalities are melted down by Divine grace, uniting them in love.

"A lamp," said Robert McCheyne, the great Scottish preacher,"is a very small thing, and it burns calmly, and without noise, and it giveth light unto all that are in the house." So there are great but quiet influences which, like the flame of a sacred lamp, fill many a home with light and fragrance. A soft, deep carpet not only diffuses a look of ample comfort, it deadens many a creaking sound; so is the peace of a Christian home. A strong curtain wards off the summer heat and the wintry wind; so a sweet family fellowship is a shield protecting all the members. A soft pillow may make some forget their misery, and a tired mind soon its cares in the delights of a comfortable Christian home. Its influence is like the fresh evening breeze at the close of a burning day. There would be fewer aching hearts if there were more Christian homes.

Make sure that Jesus is in the sacred presence of your home.



Good, Huh?

4 comments:

Bria Cosper said...

I love going through my grandmothers things too. i have never heard of Robert McCheyne before. What a great post Jess!

Jess said...

Thanks!
I about cried going through all her wonderful things and photos.
There are things that were valued so highly back then, and taken for granted in our society today. There were some great photos of my Great-grandfather from World War 2. He was a photographer, and was even at Pearl Harbour. As soon as I figure out how to scan them, I'll be posting those as well.

The Dischers said...

What a special time, Jess. We too have made a point to gather family history whenever possible.

Sometimes it definitely takes effort, but it is so worth it! We have even found at times the elderly don't really think it's all that important, but they usually cooperate anyway when we want to video tape them or hear stories, etc.

Keep it up! So glad you could spend some real quality time with your grandparents. That was a great article about the home!

Mrs. Discher

Jess said...

Thank you Mrs. Discher.

One of my favorites is listening to stories from my great-grandmother about her growing up on a tobacco farm in North Carolina.